Benefits for becoming an Australia PR

Q: The economic situation has got me worried about redundancy. If I do lose my job in Australia, will I be able to claim benefits?
A: Yes. In Australia, there are two types of benefits available to the unemployed. The first is paid to independent young people between 15-20. It is called Youth Allowance. The second, generally more relevant to unemployed migrants, is Newstart Allowance. To be eligible for Newstart payments you must be an Australian residence who satisfies an income test and agrees to undertake certain activities which will increase your chances of finding employment.

Q: How much money can I claim under unemployment benefits?
A: Benefit rates are indexed to the Consumer Price Index and are therefore variable. However, Youth Allowance payment range from approximately A$90 and A$ 170 depending on your age and position, while individuals can claim up to A$496.4 per month under Newstart allowance.

Q: Can migrants claim Newstart Allowance straight away?
A: Anybody who is living in Australia under permanent residency visa can claim Newstart Allowance. However, if you are newly arrived resident you will experiences a two-year waiting period.

Q: What if I can’t find a job, can I claim benefits indefinitely?
A: If you can proof that you can satisfied the conditions or Newstart eligibility, then yes. Despite critisim by right-wing commentators, the Australian system allows job seekers to continue claiming unemployement benefits indefinitely.

Q: Can unemployed people also claim accommodation allowance?
A: Those living in rented accommodation can claim Rent assistance. The maximum amount of Rent Assistance payable per fortnight for permanent residences with dependent children is A$147.56

Q: Does Australia offer extra benefits for long term unemployed?
A: If you are unemployed through sickness, injury or disability then you can claim extra Australia benefits. These include Disability Support Pension, Mobility Allowance, Sickness Allowance and Special Benefit. There are also support systems in place for students, carers, parents, small business, seniors, those living in remote areas, and the bereaved.

Q: Where can I find out more?
A: Visit for more information on unemployment and disability benefits.